Tuesday, January 29, 2013

An Ode to Grass


An Ode to Grass

It is usually best
in the Spring,
glowing pretty and bright,
vibrantly green.

The strands are slender tendrils
cut short in uniformity,
though there are a few strays
which make their way out of line.

The scent of it is fresh
and merry,
and can turn your frown
into a smile of fancy.

When the days are hot
it is lovely to lay upon,
for it has a sweet and much
appreciated cooling affect.

The soil beneath is lucky
to have it growing upon it,
and don't forget,
that grass is a splendor of the days.

2 comments:

  1. My family always gives me grief about how much I used to hate grass. When I was a baby they would hover me above it and laugh when I would pull my feet up to my head to avoid touching it! Nowadays I love walking barefoot in the grass and I love the stanza, 'when days are hot it is lovely to lay upon, for it has a sweet and much appreciated cooling affect.' Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of "lucky" soil, and there's some beautiful half rhyme (and metaphor) in there with "slender tendrils."

    ReplyDelete